tenikka smith hughes
WJAX-TV/WFOX-TV Jacksonville, FL August 2014 – Present
- Anchors daily evening newscasts with engaging and compelling coverage on major events.
- Enterprises story ideas and consults with producers and managers on content.
- Maintains strong working relationships with producers and production teams to ensure high quality newscasts.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to reporters, producers and other employees.
- Contributes content across various digital and social media platforms.
- Serves as ambassador for station through volunteer work and public appearances.
WSOC-TV/WAXN-TV Charlotte, NC August 2009 – August 2014
Weekday Morning Anchor/Reporter
- Anchored daily morning newscasts between 2-5 hours each day at Charlotte’s news leader.
- Led coverage with strong emphasis on local, hard, breaking news and investigative reporting.
- Comfortable and compelling when anchoring and reporting.
- Able to adlib on variety of topics and devise questions for on-air interviews.
- Pitched enterprise story ideas on a daily basis.
- Communicated daily with producers & reporters in the field.
- Served as Fill-in anchor for all evening and weekend newscasts.
- Strong live reporting skills.
ABC 24 WPTY / CW30 WLMT Memphis, Tennessee July 2006 – July 2009
General Assignment Reporter
- Provided reports for station’s morning, midday and evening newscasts.
- Enterprised multiple stories daily.
- “Run-and-gun” breaking news reporting.
- Multiple live shots daily.
- Posted content to the website each day.
- Responsible for weekly “Child Care Report Card” and “Waiting Child” adoption segments.
WMAZ-TV Macon, Georgia July 2004 – July 2006
- Investigated and reported information to present on Emmy award winning daily newscasts.
- Anchored a two-hour morning newscast and a 30-minute noon show daily.
- Also shot and edited video footage and wrote for broadcast and online.
- Live reporting and field editing experience.
Capital News Service, UMTV, College Park, Maryland January 2004 – May 2004
General Assignment Reporter
- Worked as a reporter/anchor/photographer for Emmy Award winning student-operated nightly newscast.
- Set-up, conducted, shot and edited interviews for public affairs program.
- Interviewed top Maryland officials including the Governor, Speaker of the House, and State Comptroller.
University of Maryland - College Park, Maryland
Master of Journalism
University Fellow, GPA 3.6
Benedict College, Columbia, South Carolina
Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication
Summa Cum Laude, Miss Benedict College 2002-2003, GPA 3.9
AWARDS, ACHIEVEMENTS, & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- 2020 The Mary J Brogan Award from the Florida Literacy Coalition
- 2019 NATAS Suncoast Regional Emmy Award for Spot News, "Miracle on the St. Johns River", Anchor
- 2019 NATAS Suncoast Emmy nominee (Health/Science, Breaking News, Continuing Coverage)
- 2018 Folio Weekly Best TV Anchor
- 2018 NATAS Suncoast Emmy nominee (Team Coverage) | 2018 University of North Florida OSPREY Community Engagement Award
- 2018 Literacy Pro Award
- 2017 Murrow Award Recipient for Overall Excellence in Large Market Television for Region 13
- 2017 Florida Associated Press Broadcasters Award Finalist for Best News Anchor
- 2017 NATAS Suncoast Emmy nominee (Evening Newscast, Continuing Coverage, Team Coverage)
- 2016 NATAS Suncoast Emmy nominee (Evening Newscast)
- 2016 NATAS Suncoast Emmy nominee (Team Coverage)
- 2015 NATAS Suncoast Emmy nominee (Education/Schools)
- 2015 Suncoast Emmy-nominee for individual investigative report in the Education/Schools Category
- 2015 Suncoast Emmy-nominee (for newscast - Spot News on Severe Weather)
- 2015 Florida Associated Press Broadcasters Award recipient for Best TV Newscast
- Winner of 2013 Charlotte Area Association of Black Journalists News Excellence Award
- 2008 Broadcast Media “Making KIDS COUNT Award” from the Tennessee Commission on Children and Youth for “Child Care Report Card” segment
REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST