KPRC-TV Houston, TX May 2017 - Present
GA & Space Reporter & MMJ
- Aggressively seek new, original and exclusive stories for newscast
- Shoot, write, voice, edit and go live several days a week in multiple shows including the 11am, 12pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm and 10pm shows
- Cultivate sources, especially for space and school beats
- Was chosen to produce, write and edit an award-winning series on school safety called “Generation Under Fire”
- Was chosen to be the only reporter from KPRC to cover the 2020 Olympics in Japan
- Travel to various parts of the US to cover major stories including the World Series, March for Our Lives rally and breaking news
- Enterprise interactive and engaging social media content on multiple platforms: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Work with digital team to create exclusive and interactive website content
- Fill-in for traffic anchoring and co-hosting on Channel 2 and Houston Life
- Emcee more many community events, galas, panels and lead workshops on public speaking and leadership
WCPO-TV Cincinnati, OH April 2015 – May 2017
- Aggressively sought out new, original and exclusive stories for newscast
- Shot, wrote, voiced and edited all news stories
- Went live every day
- Went live, tweeted and posted stories on Facebook daily
- Aggressively gathered and confirmed information on breaking news and posted on multiple platforms
- Cultivated sources in the community and participated in community events
WEEK/WHOI-TV Peoria, IL October 2013- April 2015
- Aggressively cultivated original news stories and exclusive interviews by building and maintaining trustworthy source relationships.
- Scheduled, shot, wrote and edited a VO, multiple VOSOTS, one package and usually a live shot for daily 5pm, 5:30pm and 6pm shows.
- Fill-in produced and anchored a half hour show via ENPS and Avid under extreme deadline pressure at least once a week.
- Took initiative to consistently write and update web stories and reporter Facebook page, gaining 830+ likes within the first year.
Impulse Magazine Urbana, IL November 2010- July 2013
Multimedia Director; Staff Writer
- Shot, edited, and produced all videos with Final Cut Pro for UIUC’s first professional-quality community magazine.
- Managed, trained and recruited a team of more than ten photographers and video editors.
WICD-TV Champaign, IL June 2012-August 2012
- Shot, wrote and edited television packages and VO/SOTs via Avid and I-News, as well as utilized live mobile backpacks.
WCIA-TV Champaign, IL August 2011- May 2012
Elections Assistant & Executive Producing Intern; News Intern
- Assisted the executive producer in researching data and contacting counties in preparation for the 2012 primary elections.
- Wrote news stories and packages, updated web and social media.
- Researched and fact-checked content for reporters and anchors.
WMAQ-TV Chicago, IL May 2011- August 2011
Health Unit Intern
- Researched, wrote, tracked and packaged news stories for NBC Chicago’s website, television, Facebook and Twitter.
- Edited video, interviewed sources and practiced presenting three 30 second, ad-lib reports daily.
The Daily Illini January 2009-August 2012
On-Air Entertainment Co-Anchor; News Reporter
- Co-wrote script, edited sound bites and created news and events related radio packages using Logic Express and Adobe Audition.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
Graduation: May 2013
Cumulative GPA: 3.92/4.00
Bachelor of Science in Broadcast Journalism
Salutatorian; Summa Cum Laude; Dean’s List: seven consecutive semesters; James Scholar
LEADERSHIP & COMMUNITY WORK
Pilipino American Unity for Progress (UniPro) Texas Programming Director
- Create free workshops to help members learn about professionalism, culture and identity
- Spearheaded and founded an arts showcase and fundraiser highlighting multiple Filipino artists in Greater Houston; 300+attendees and raised thousands of dollars for UniPro Texas
- Create a sustainable event planning and follow up procedure for UniPro Texas team
- Cultivated content for mentorship and leadership retreats
Emceed, Moderated of Hosted Various Events in Greater Houston
- BEAR Be A Resource Stampede Under the Stars Event Emcee (200+ attendees)
- Armstrong Documentary Premiere Astronaut and Mission Control Discussion Moderator (100+ attendees)
- Downtown Houston Rotary Club Apollo 11 Panel Moderator (100+ attendees)
- Philippine American Chamber of Commerce Annual State Dinner Co-Emcee (500+ attendees)
- HOPE Clinic Annual Luncheon Emcee (200+ attendees)
- IABC Awards Emcee (100+ attendees)
- OCA Community Arts Festival Emcee (200+ attendees)
- Risotto Festival Emcee (500+ attendees)
- ECHOS Chef's Dinner Emcee (300+ attendees)
- Miss Jose Rizal Day Competition 2019 Co-Host (200+ attendees)
- Knights of Rizal’s Tribute to Jose Rizal Emcee (200+ attendees)
Miss Chinatown Houston Pageant 2018 & 2019 Co-Emcee (500+ attendees)
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Association Dancing with the APAHA Stars Gala & Competition 2019 & 2020 Host (500+ attendees)
- HISD Asian American Cultural Heritage Celebration Dinner Emcee (200+ attendees)
- Media Roundtable KPRC Presentative Panelist 2018 & 2019 (50+ attendees)
Successful Asian American Media Panelist (30+ attendees)
Public Speaking 101 Workshop Facilitator
June 2019; 2018
- Created, led and executed workshop for UniPro mentees on ways to improve public speaking
- Related storytelling to public speaking
- Offered ways to practice and implement workshop exercises
KPRC Ch 2 Young Voter Round-Table Discussion Host & Producer
- Chosen by KPRC’s digital team to producer and lead a streamed and televised round table discussion with young voters at the University of Houston
- Produced engaging content, questions and discussion
- Moderated students’ participation
UniPro Immersive Arts Showcase Director & Founder
Oct 2018-Jan 2019
- Created the first and largest Filipino arts showcase featuring local Filipino American artists in Greater Houston
- Conceptualized and executed long-term plan to put together immersive arts showcase; 300+ attendees, 20+ local artists and performers, 15 person team
- Establish marketing and budget for first-time event
- Established a sustainable leadership structure for future showcases
Asian American Commerce Group
- Selected by the Ohio Asian Awards & the Asian American Commerce Group to speak at and emcee the 2016 ceremony
- Spoke to 350 attendees, encouraging them to come together and utilize their excellence in their prospective fields to continue to mentor, collaborate and move the minority community forward
Scripps Howard Foundation Breakthrough Cincinnati Program Workshop Facilitator
- Selected by WCPO's corporate office to lead a workshop aimed to inspire students to pursue their dreams
- Shared person journey and advice with 30 bright, highly motivated children from the urban core who were entering 8th grade.
Panelist - Successful Asian American Professionals Career Panel
Asian Community Alliance - Cincinnati, OH
- Engaged with a group of college and high school students about my journey in becoming a reporter.
- Was the youngest panelist to sit alongside a distinguished group of professionals in various fields
UniPro Chicago-Midwest Chapter Co-Founder
Feb 2015-Aug 2018
- Initiated the quest to work with the national UniPro chapter to build a team and launch the Chicago-Midwest chapter of UniPro, a non-profit organization, which aims to educate, activate, and connect young Filipino American professionals nationwide.
- Built a team, established meetings, created leadership structure
- Established local chapter goals: to connect different generations of professionals in the Filipino American community, to utilize local and national resources to create free, accessible workshops aimed to enrich members' networking and professional skills, and build working partnerships with major Filipino American groups in the Chicago-Midwest area in order to collaborate on local efforts to problem solve.•
- Connected with key Chicago-Midwest Filipino American leaders and spearheaded a launch event that brought more than 75 interested attendees, 10 volunteers, and two special speakers including members of the Philippine Consulate General of Chicago and the Filipino American Lawyers Association of Chicago.
- Spearheaded UniPro Chicago-Midwest's networking and professionalism panel, selecting five Filipino American leaders from Ohio to Chicago to teach members high-level networking and professional skills
- Spearheaded UniPro Chicago-Midwest mentorship program, connecting professionals of different generations in their corresponding fields of interest.
20th Filipino Americans Coming Together Conference (FACT), Champaign, IL
Coordinator (January 2012- March 2013); Philippine Student Association Vice President External (2011-2012); Social Chair (2010-2011)
- Collaborated with co-coordinator to organize, manage and execute the largest leadership development and community building, Filipino-interest conference nationwide; 1300+ delegates, 36 facilitators, 100 performers, 80 volunteers, six facilities, three days.
- Successfully acquired three University grants; total budget of $20,000, 12 flights, 80 hotel rooms, 30 honorariums, advertising.
Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ), Urbana, IL
October 2010- August 2012
- Set budget and created first money request system to combat overspending, unplanned costs and to keep clear monetary records.
Student Cultural Programming Funding Board (SCPF), Urbana, IL
August 2011- August 2012
- Served on a board of ten members to allocate and manage a $200,000 budget for cultural programming and events.
Campus Dialogues, Champaign, IL
January 2012- May 2012
- Worked with four facilitators to provide a safe space for student leaders to discuss, debate and act on campus issues.
- Facilitated with UIUC Vice Chancellor to address pressing group issues and successfully negotiated a plan of action.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Nominated for Continuing Coverage 24 hours category
Harris County Department of Education 2019 Media Honor Roll
- Recognized for fair and balanced reporting, providing valuable information to the community about public schools
Philippine Chamber of Commerce State Founder’s Award - Outstanding Young Leader
- Chosen to earn award for leadership in the Filipino American community in Texas
National Edward R. Murrow Award; Regional Murrow
- KPRC won Best Newscast in Large Market Television for the coverage of the deadly Santa Fe School Shootings; My role in this coverage was interviewing victims’ friends, loved ones and community members
Lone Star Award - 2nd Place Best Investigative Series
- Selected as 2nd place winner for a series I produced, wrote and edited focusing on school safety
Panelist – Successful Asian American Professionals Career Panel
Asian Community Alliance, Cincinnati, OH
- Engaged with a group of college and high school students about journey in becoming a reporter.
- Was the youngest panelist to sit alongside a distinguished group of professionals in various fields.
Illinois Broadcasters Association Silver Dome Awards
- Selected as WEEK/WHOI-TV’s nominations for Best TV Reporter and Best Investigative Report.
UniPro Summit Keynote Speaker
- Shared how storytelling can positively shape a community; 300+ delegates; notable former keynote: Journalist Jose Antonio Vargas.
40 Leaders Under 40-Years-Old
- Selected as WEEK/WHOI-TV’s single nomination for an award that recognizes active leaders and their impact on the community.
University Honors Bronze Tablet
- Received the highest honor UIUC grants undergraduate students for academic excellence; graduated in top 3% of all 2013 graduates.
- UIUC’s Journalism Department chose two pieces for its two available nominations for Best TV Features.
FIL-AM TV Hall of Fame
- Awarded as Hall of Famer in the category of Young Professional Achiever and co-hosted Chicago’s Fil-Am TV Hall of Fame.
REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST