CNN November 2016-Present
Freelance Weather Producer
- Monitoring world-wide weather hazards, then analyzing forecast data and preparing graphics used for weather presentations on all CNN networks including Domestic, International and Headline News.
- Responsibilities include briefings to all news production managers on potential weather threats, creating unique story-telling graphics using virtual reality technology and providing relevant social media content.
- Produce weather graphics for use in international and airport forecasts.
- Maintain and update content for social media and cnn.com.
The Weather Channel (AllSourcePPS) May 2016 – December 2016
Part-Time Radio Meteorologist
- Preparing, presenting, and electronically delivering recorded Spanish video broadcasts for Spanish-language Brighthouse cable network, seen in central Florida.
- Broadcasts include segments for U.S. and International locations.
- Preparing and presenting live and recorded radio broadcasts in English for Continental U.S. clients
Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms Norman, OK May 2016
- Invited participant in the 2016 Hazardous Test Bed Experiment.
- Provided broadcast consulting expertise on techniques for communicating experimental probabilistic forecasts.
- Research results will be used to refine forecast and display techniques for the FACETS program.
Weathercall Parker, Colorado March 2015- Present
Severe Weather Notification Consultant
- Consulting on the product and business development of an instant weather notification service for sale to individuals, TV affiliates and enterprise clients across multiple digital platforms.
- B2B sales and account management
- Creating content for social media channels
- Developing and presenting educational webinars on product use and new product launches
WIAT-TV Birmingham, Alabama 2013-2014
- Analyzed current local weather situation and prepared subsequent forecast, including severe weather alerts and protection measures delivered in a calm, clear presentation.
- Self-produced multiple daily weathercasts, incorporating concise writing, live video feeds, creative graphics and interactive capability.
- Frequent updates to digital channel forecasts and via social media feeds.
- Delivered continual accurate coverage and forecasting throughout record snow, cold and ice in January/February 2014 as well saving lives during the April 2014 tornado outbreak.
- Organized and hosted emergency manager meeting to exchange information and strengthen relationships.
- Designed new weather set to coordinate with overall station redesign, including graphics strategy.
- Awarded Best Weather Anchor from Alabama Broadcaster’s Association and Honorable Mention for Best Weather Anchor from Alabama Associated Press
KHOU-TV Houston, Texas 2008-2012
- Briefed newsroom staff daily on expected weather and potential threats.
- Designated placement of live reporters and cameras.
- Evaluated local weather and forecast, and created daily weathercast presentations targeting specific neighborhoods.
- Managed weather information on digital platforms, including a video blog, social media, written newspaper forecasts and radio stations. Ensured awareness of imminent severe weather threats and preparedness. Coached and evaluated 3 staff meteorologists. Represented station at community events such as awards ceremonies and parades.
- Provided continuous coverage of Hurricane Ike for nearly 18 hours. Recognized for keeping public calm and saving lives.
- Participated in annual office of emergency management hurricane preparedness briefings for City of Houston.
- Met with and interviewed Hurricane Center Director and other hurricane specialists as part of annual hurricane preparedness special.
- Co-produced and hosted annual hurricane preparedness special, earning consecutive Emmy awards.
- Installed system of remotely operated HD weather cameras, creating $30,000 in sponsorships.
- Acquired weather safety brochure sponsorship of $30,000 through partnership development.
WGCL-TV Atlanta, Georgia 2000-2008
- Studied local weather data to prepare forecast and brief newsroom staff on potential newsworthy threats. Self-produced a 3-minute weathercast 4 times daily, targeting specific neighborhoods and viewer activities. Maximized the creative use of graphic capabilities to provide a varied broadcast. Delivered multimedia updates via weather blog, public transportation and radio station.
- Utilized radar tracking tools to clearly track and identify severe weather indications, saving several families during Tropical Storm Cindy.
- Provided comprehensive coverage of record inland Georgia tornadoes spawned by Hurricane Katrina.
- Flew on hurricane hunter aircraft during active hurricane tracking (Hurricane Ophelia).
- Converted a mini-van into a storm-tracking vehicle and visited schools to provide education on severe weather safety preparedness.
- Awarded for Best Weathercast 3 years running from Georgia Associated Press, and best Weathercast 2001/2004 and Best Weather Reporting 2005/2006 from Southeast Region Emmy.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor of Science in Earth and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Cambridge, Massachusetts
Master of Science in Meteorology
University of Maryland – College Park, Maryland
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist, American Meteorological Society
- WSI Tru Vu Max
- Weather Central Fusion
- Baron FasTrac & VIPIR
- Member, National Weather Association
- Member, American Meteorological Society
- Chair, AMS Broadcast Board (2005-2006)
- Board Member, Weather Research Center (2009-2012)
- Associate Board Member, Boys and Girls Club of Central Alabama (2013-2014)