WICS-TV Springfield, Illinois December 2015–Present
- Oversees weather department in the preparation and delivery of accurate and timely weather forecasts for television, radio, internet, and social media platforms.
- Leads weather team in the compilation of weather data to develop innovative, accurate, and easy-to-understand weather graphics.
- Supervises weather personnel to ensure corporate directives and weather department policies are being followed.
- Anchors multiple daily weathercasts for television and radio as well as for station websites and social media.
- Coordinates and maintains the scheduling of the weather department.
WOWT-TV Omaha, Nebraska February 2013–October 2014
- Prepared and delivered daily local and regional weather reports for television, digital channel, radio, internet, and social media platforms.
- Broadcasted on various special community and calendar event happenings.
- Anchored daily weathercasts for television, radio, and web usage.
- Reported live in the field during significant breaking weather events.
- Represented station at public events and school visits.
WSBT-TV South Bend, Indiana August 2011-December 2011
Interim Chief Meteorologist
- Led weather department providing accurate and reliable regional and local weather forecasts for television, radio, newsprint, internet, and social media platforms.
- Prepared and distributed weather and marine forecasts on daily basis.
- Created and rendered daily weather graphics on the Weather Central computer system.
- Produced and voiced multiple weather forecasts daily for three affiliate radio stations.
- Composed and provided daily weather data and forecasts to be printed in the South Bend Tribune newspaper.
- Proactive with disseminating comprehensive weather updates for Facebook and Twitter.
WXIA-TV Atlanta, Georgia June 2010- July 2011
Weather Anchor and Producer
- Oversaw daily weather coverage and coordinated school visits and other community outreach opportunities for the weather department.
- Served as fill-in weather anchor for both on-air and on-line.
- Researched and composed various science, climate and weather-related articles for web distribution.
- Prepared and delivered written and video weather forecasts for internet, digital channel, and other platforms.
- Reported live from the field during significant weather events.
- Wrote and reported weather stories and packages.
INDEPENDENT VOICE-OVER WORK Atlanta, Georgia 1991 - Present
- Performs as announcer and voice talent for various local commercials and instructional tapes/CD’s/DVD’s.
THE WEATHER CHANNEL Atlanta, Georgia June 1986- November 2008
- Broadcasted accurate, easy-to-understand local, regional, national, and international weather information.
- Successfully co-hosted an early morning show with solid ratings for sixteen years. At one point contributed to a 25% jump in ratings.
- Increased ratings shares by 35% while solo hosting late night weather coverage.
- Daily demonstrated exceptional organizational skills by utilizing maps and graphics to clearly and precisely highlight top weather stories.
- Produced and proficiently assembled weather maps and graphics to convey compelling weather information.
- Reported live from the field on a number of occasions including during severe weather episodes.
- Conducted live interviews with state and federal Emergency Management officials during significant weather events including tornado outbreaks and landfalling hurricanes.
- Reported major weather events from update desk with poise, thoroughness, and a calm demeanor.
- Wrote and anchored topical weather/climate stories ranging from drought impacting farmers to harnessing wind energy.
- Served as talent on video forecasts for Weather.com, broadband, and other wireless platforms.
- Represented The Weather Channel for a variety of community functions and affiliate sales/cable promotional events.
- Volunteered to talk to numerous school and civic groups to better educate the public about weather.
WTHI-TV Terre Haute, Indiana September 1983-May 1986
Lead Meteorologist and Talent
- Prepared regional forecasts and graphics for weathercasts. Delivered daily weathercasts for prime-time evening broadcasts and then later for four radio stations.
- Announced forecasts/weather updates for four radio stations.
- Reported live from remote sites.
- Produced and performed as talent for environmental/science packages.
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Experienced in using INEWS, Newsmaker, Clickability and ENPS newsroom computer systems.
- Experienced in creating maps and weather graphics on Weather Central computer systems.
- Possess working knowledge of EDIUS and Anvato systems for editing and video retrieval.
- Knowledgeable with Baron’s Doppler radar system.
- Trained in interpreting Doppler radar products.
- Skilled with using Skytracker and WSI Titan HD radar graphics.
- Proficient in utilizing WeatherPro as well as WSI TruVu MAX weather graphics systems.
- Experienced in operating INEWS/VIZ Weather Player Systems.
- Knowledgeable in deciphering NAM, MOS, NGM, LFM, ETA, AVN, and MRF forecast models.
- Adept in translating and acquiring WSI weather data.
- Proactive in continuing educational growth using COMET training modules offered by NOAA.
Post Graduate Studies
Indiana State University, 1983 - 1986
Emphasis in Broadcasting.
University of Nebraska-Omaha, 1982 - 1983
Emphasis in Broadcasting/Communications.
Iowa State University, 1978 - 1982
Major in Meteorology with a double minor in Mathematics and Psychology.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Illinois Broadcasters Association Silver Dome Award for BEST TV WEATHERCASTER.
- Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient for 2006 from Iowa State University.
- Broadcast Seal of Approval from both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association.
- Member of the Phi Eta Sigma and the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies for Academic Excellence.
References Available Upon Request