NBC Sky World News 2020-Present
Middle East and North Africa Correspondent
Freelance Journalist 2009-2020
- Worked as a freelance journalist in some of the most challenging and violent environments on earth, producing award-winning independent multimedia reportage across a variety of platforms, often alone, under difficult circumstances and to tight deadlines.
- Special focus on Iraq, but, also, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Turkey and Europe.
- First journalist to enter the Iraqi city of Mosul with Iraqi forces after more than two years of Islamic State rule.
- First foreign journalist to reach Mount Sinjar by land during the Yazidi genocide. Winner of the Grand Format Prize at the Bayeux Calvados Award for War Correspondents.
- Reported TV, print, photo and documentary video stories for various outlets, including The BBC, The New York Times, The Times of London, TIME, The Washington Post, Al Jazeera, National Geographic, The Telegraph, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Newsweek, Euronews and VICE.
Magnum Photos Inc. New York City July 2009-October 2009
- Pitched, shot and created video essays for Magnum in Motion, Magnum Photos Inc.
British Broadcasting Corporation BBC NEWS February 2009-June 2009
- New York Bureau. Reported and produced hard news for BBC World News, On Demand, BBC Radio 1 and the Today Program.
The Daily Star, Lebanon December 2008-February 2009
- Pitched and covered hard news and political stories, e.g. the Lebanese political crisis and the assassination and funeral of Hezbollah commander Imad Mughnieh. Also arts and culture features, e.g. The Arab Hip-Hop scene.
Centre for Studying Terrorism and Political Violence (CSTPV) September 2006-May 2007
- Reported and profiled individuals and organizations involved in terrorism and political violence, e.g. the London bombers.
Palestine News Network (PNN), Bethlehem, Israel and Palestine May-August 2006
- Covered hard news stories, and long form features
2008-2009 Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism: Master of Science, Journalism.
Major Coursework: Reporting and Writing, Digital Media, Photojournalism
2004-2008 University of St Andrews, Scotland: M.A (First Class Hons) International Relations and Middle East Studies.
Major Coursework: Conflict in the Middle East.
2002-2003 Hurtwood House, London, UK: A Levels: English, History, Law (A, A, A)
- Winner Grand Format Prize Bayeux-Calvados Award for War Correspondents
- Inaugural Richard Beeston Bursary Award Winner
- Rory Peck Award 2017 Finalist
- Magnum Photographers 30 under 30 Award, PROOF Award for emerging photojournalist
- Finalist, written report Bayeux-Calvados Award
- Finalist, video report Bayeux Calvados Award
- Finalist Frontline Club Award for video reportage
- Juror 2017 World Press Photo Awards
Founding member of the Frontline Freelance Register, a representative body for freelance journalists working in areas of conflict. Reporters Instructed in Saving Colleagues.
Multimedia: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Photo Mechanic, Photoshop, Slack, Flash,
Languages: English (fluent), Iraqi Arabic (conversational), Turkish (beginner)
References available on request.